Filed under: Human Services
Posted by: Dr. Eve
@ 3:29 pm
There are many myths associated with infant boys. Are they myths? Dr. Savage, a mother who raised two boys to men provides her perspective on ten things moms should know about infant boys that were listed in Parent Magazine.
- The article mentions that historically pink was the masculine color used by marketers to target boys til 1930s. I believe that boys who are comfortable in their masculinity are not defined by the color pink. In fact, the color, pink was flattering on both my boys to men who chose at one point in their adult lives to wear pink. One wearing an awesome pink sweater and I wish I could find it now, it looked so good on him. And, my youngest, chose white and pink for the prom.
- Boys and Girls Look the Same, at First - I agree. Having had four children, two boys, and two girls, I couldn’t tell the difference through imaging. Today, we have 3-D imaging and that does not reveal much more about gender. You can get some idea of potential parental favoring I believe.
- Medical physiology tells us that both boys and girls parts are similar til about the 7th week when little boys testosterone kicks in and budding of his male genitalia become enhanced.
- Some parents worry at the first sign of breasts in their infant boys. This has been a worry of many mommies, but not to worry, Think about it this way You are a coffee drinker who is accustomed to your adrenaline awakening by the morning cup of coffee. If you go without it for a few days you develop a headache, right? Eventually, the headache goes away. Much the same way, newborns are used to the environment of estrogen. When they are born, a male goes through the withdrawal of that estrogen that influenced breast growth. Shortly, the body adapts to the lack of estrogen and his testosterone takes over. Does that make sense?
- Erections Are Normal - How many of you have heard of that golden shower during the diaper change. We have all experienced it. Erections are normal even in utero. Those little bladders are full and ready to be released influencing the erection. Be sure to cover him until you are ready to slip on the diaper or he will surely get you every time.
- Circumcision Rates Are Dropping -How many new moms are now paying for circumcision? When I had my boys, I did not understand that circumcision was either for aesthetics or custom to religious belief or I would have never. My grandma always said when men are not circumcised, women tend to have more infections. We can really get this twisted. Make sure you research before making any decisions about your infant.
- Boys Are Bigger At Birth
- Boys Like Crowds
- Boys Are Busier
- Boys Are Daredevils